You’ve experienced the life changing effects of lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) either firsthand, through a loved one, or by caring for your patients. Today, more than 3,000 women world-wide suffer from LAM and estimates suggest that an additional over 200,000 are undiagnosed. Significant strides have been made in understanding, diagnosing and treating symptoms and complications of LAM, however there is still more work needed.
There are several ways you can help make a difference in the lives of those affected by LAM. Through monetary donations or by volunteering your time and skills, you can make a significant and lasting impact on The LAM Foundation’s mission of funding critical research, providing education, and support programs.
Here are a few ideas of how you can help us—any support you give brings us closer and closer to a cure:
Many people, including physicians, have never heard of LAM. Make it your mission to talk frankly with people about LAM. Carry informational brochures with you. The Foundation can provide brochures to you. Consider talking to local groups like sororities or women’s groups. We can send you a copy of our “Sharing the Mission” PowerPoint presentation and also a copy of the Foundation’s Annual Report.
Please don’t skip this information just because you think it’s too hard to ask people for money! Here are the facts:
- The answers we seek cost millions of dollars. The need to raise funds will not disappear until we conquer LAM.
- There are hundreds of ways to raise money. You don’t have to organize a black-tie dinner dance. Your project can be very modest, and you’ll be amazed at the results.
- “Big” fundraisers in two or three cities every year won’t support the Foundation’s work. But hundreds of “small” fundraising projects in hundreds of places —everything from letter-writing campaigns to backyard carnivals — can raise enough money to help us reach our goal of finding a cure for LAM.
- Create an online fundraising page – it’s quick and easy and provides a low cost method for fundraising and building awareness
- Ask for donations in lieu of birthday, holiday, or wedding gifts
- Do a letter-writing campaign
- Honor a LAM patient with a monthly gift
- Host a “Strut Your Mutt” (dog walk)
- Hold a “virtual” event (i.e., a bake-less bake sale; a tea-less tea party)
- Hold a “virtual” catalog party (i.e., Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Mary Kay, etc.)
- Plan a theme party and take donations at the door
- Work together with other LAM patients, family and friends in your area on an event or idea
- Hold a Garage Sale or sell your unwanted items on eBay and donate the proceeds to The LAM Foundation
- Looking for more ideas? Then click here for our Fundraising Handbook.
Almost anything can be turned into a fundraising effort – be creative and allow your friends and family to help! Your support means so much to The LAM Foundation. To get started with planning a fundraiser please download and fill out the Independent Fundraising Packet and Budget Form. Once complete please send the forms to Vel Hux at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to the Foundation. If you have any questions about fundraising or the forms please contact us at 513.777.6889 or email@example.com
Help the Foundation
Even if you don’t live near the Foundation office, there may be a fundraiser or an awareness project that you can take part in. Check our website or call the Foundation to find out what’s happening in your area. If there’s no project underway, start one!
Another great way to help the Foundation is to refer us to businesses or organizations that might help. Do you know someone who belongs to a service organization or a sorority that does community service projects? Referrals from LAM patients and their families have resulted in thousands of dollars for research.
Ways You Can Make a Difference
- Direct the Foundation to organizations that provide funding.
- Participate in matching gift programs through your workplace. Many companies double, or sometimes triple, your charitable contribution.
- Contribute through the United Way. It’s as easy as writing “The LAM Foundation” on the “Other” line of your payroll deduction form.
- Give through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Federal employees simply specify code 10886 to select The LAM Foundation.
- Leave a legacy by joining the Breath of Hope Legacy Society.
- Attend fundraising events in your area.
- Share our mission with others by sending us their names, addresses and emails so we can add them to our database (with their permission).
- Support the Foundation with an in-kind donation.
- Offer to write or submit articles to be included in the Journeys newsletter or Currents e-newsletter.
To learn more about how you can help the Foundation, please contact Kerri Morgan or Sue Sherman at 513.777.6889 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Our Wish List
Do you or someone you know have services they can offer the Foundation? Here’s our wish list of items that the Foundation can use to enhance our efficiency:
- Donated printing services for: Personal Journeys with LAM, LAMposium conference programs, Journeys newsletter, general LAM brochures, and donation envelopes.
- Donated graphic design services for annual reports, brochures, etc.
- Donated website design and hosting services.
- Laptop computers or I-Pads.
- Items for the Breath of Hope Silent Auction (held during LAMposium )